Sunday, September 1, 2013

KING KONG OF A FATHER’S DAY AND MY TIME OFF WORK.


KING KONG OF A FATHER’S DAY AND MY TIME OFF WORK:

Special times/event in people’s lives are different from family to family…..Father’s Day has been something that I have acknowledged when growing up, but since being a father I have valued it even more…..since having cancer I have valued it a lot more….I feel that I should cherish them even more and hug my girls longer and harder on this day and share my love with my own father, who was sleeping during the day, as he was working night shift this Father's Day….but when I saw him later in the day it was great to see him and spend time with him. I had the best Father’s Day….. it was my first since being diagnosed stage 4 Cancer…. also my first with a child who could go to a Father’s Day stall at her school to purchase a present.

MY DAD AND I. 
FATHER'S DAY MORNING.  
The day began with a short spin on the bike with my riding mate, Matthew Collins, then home to very excited girls waiting for me at the door. They had made cards and Ariella had her present ready to give me….as did the other two girls. The day before (Friday) I attended my first Father’s Day breakfast at Ariella’s school. Later in the next week I will be going to Kalita’s kinder for a Father’s Day night….both girls have been very excited about these events.
 
FATHER'S DAY BREAKFAST. 
My present from Ariella was a picture framed with the girls and I; this will take pride of place on my desk at work. She also had a pen for me which had ‘Super Dad’ written on it…… also a business card holder for my desk. All very much treasured gifts.

The other girls gave me liquorice, two pairs of thongs and the a most beautiful mosaic framed photos of the girls and I….. this present did make me very emotional and yes had me in tears….. when I look at this it brings back many memories of the girls growing up and makes me fight harder to see them grow into young women.
 
MY FRAMED PRESENT FROM THE GIRLS. 
We had lunch at home with Lisa’s Parents and brother. This was a very nice quiet lunch on our deck as the weather was amazing…..The girls played and enjoyed the day. Later on in the day I went to see dad. 

I should’ve started this blog with the weekend was amazing and busy…. Lisa and I had a very rare opportunity to spend time with each other….child free. We had purchased a package deal to attend the Musical Production of King Kong and stay the night in the city at the Grand Hyatt. The whole night was amazing. My old school friend Glen Moriarty organised for us to have dinner at a very cool and incredible restaurant called Coda in Flinders Lane. Thanks Glen for this suggestion and booking.
AT CODA RESTAURANT. 

LISA AT KING KONG.

King Kong was unbelievable and the spectacle was well worth seeing.  Lisa and I had a wonderful night together….. a slight sleep in…..then a run together, something we have not done together in many years. We headed home to pick up the girls and when home the hotel rang Lisa to say I’d left my wedding ring in the room…. This meant I had to pick it up.

Great opportunity to take the girls into the city….so back into the city with the girls this time and pick up the ring….. after this I took the girls to a park for a play and an ice cream…. A Sensational Saturday…. Time with Lisa, then time with the girls.

TIME OFF:
In the title it mentions my time off work…… This is true and not anything to do with me being unwell….in fact I have never felt better. I was off work for 8 days in total….. reason was a Measles outbreak at school and my immunity was low….therefore the Health Department and school suggested I take time off to avoid catching this illness…..I was very much appreciated what my work place had done to warn me and look after my well being. So I guess I was on forced leave and feeling great….. I took this as an opportunity to do things I cannot do when I’m at working full time. I did the school runs for Ariella, ballet drop offs and pick ups, watched swimming lessons, went to Gymbaroo…. generally my plan was to assist Lisa and give her a break and time out from her busy schedule… also go for a few more runs and plenty of cycling…I guess I wasn’t off work because I was ill, therefore I’d make the most of this time….a mini break from school.

This time off also gave me an insight into how busy Lisa’s week is with driving around dropping off the girls here, there and everywhere. She does an amazing job being a mum, businesswomen and keeping a supportive eye on me.

In my time when I was at my worse in October, Lisa had the hardest job of all and she did and does this in a superhuman effort. She deals with my illness in such a way that I cannot comprehend; she manages to get on with the everyday runnings of life as well as the emotional battle of my illness and the shortcomings of what might happen if I become sick again. She is my emotional sounding board when I am stressed about little lumps I feel here and there, she calms me when I’m stressed about my scans. She manages to 'put up' with my mood swings. She is my rock and best friend…. Lisa I love you so much. Below is short clip that shows images of Lisa and I over the years. Again a time capsule moment….
FEARS:
I have fears of what might be in the years and months ahead. My wish is that Lisa and the girls are happy and are able to deal with what might happen.

I am fighting fit and never been healthier. I have scans in a week and feel all should be ok… but you never know. Fitness is the best it’s been in months…. Riding an average of 140km a week managed a 100km ride with a fast group of riders a week ago and now have been running between 5 to 8km a week.

The Melbourne 10km run is looking good. I am not riding the Granfondo as we will be away for it. I am reading a book at the moment; called ‘Men Surviving Cancer,’ it has stated many times in the book to keep exercise up during cancer treatment or illness and have a focused mind. This applies to everything in life…cancer or no cancer!

If there is anything I have learnt so far from this terrible journey is that: ‘attitude everything’. Believe in what you are going to do is achievable…..believe you are going to beat this illness and you will….believe and everything is achievable.

 Remember to hug your loved one's. Love to all. x 






1 comment:

  1. Dear Nathan,

    I don't know how long I have been twitter following you and you me, and yet I have not known you. Tonight I have read some of your blog and amazing life story and survival. Great inspirational stuff.

    GraemeO28

    ReplyDelete